The List is sent out around 7:00 MST (Alberta, Canada or -7h GMT) Monday to Friday. There is no Teacher List on holidays like long weekends, Christmas Break and Spring Break. Over the summer, no List will be sent from June 30 to August 31. Don’t forget to visit and bookmark the website at http://www.theteacherlist.ca. There, you are able to maintain your subscription, contact me and to search the archives.
History of The Teacher List:
– An informal email to teaching friends was started to spread the word about interesting new websites. I was teaching History 9 and 10 and CTS (Computers) at St. John’s School of Alberta at this time.
– A formal list was started and named The Teacher List; open membership was encouraged and 100 people were signed up within a year
– The first website was built to hold archives of sites that were recommended. I had moved to Edmonton Public Schools and was the Technology Coordinator at Lymburn Elementary School by this time.
– The second website was built that incorporated flash menus; http://www.theteacherlist.ca domain purchased and used to popularize the site
– Membership reaches 1000 people
– I move to Jasper Place High School to teach Hypermedia (Web Design), Business Tech, Computer Science, and Design Studies.
-The Teacher List is chosen as one of the Top Ten Educational Web Sites as chosen by teachers from across the country.
– The Listserv was moved to a Majordomo service and fully automated
– The third website was built to utilize php searchable archives.
– Many thanks go to my friend and colleague, Bill Lomax, for all the coding help…
– http://www.theteacherlist.com domain purchased
– The Listserv moves to FreeLists.org, allowing for an easier administration of subscribers’ accounts.
– 2007 Excellence in Teaching Award / SMARTer Kids Foundation Innovative Use of Technology Award, in part because of The Teacher List.
– The Teacher List moves to a blog format to allow for online discussion
– Thanks to Ershad Chagani, a former student who I hired to move my 1200 entries to this new format!
– I was seconded to The 2Learn.ca Education Society as a Provincial Team Teacher, supporting Alberta teachers teaching with technology.
– An updated blog style as The Teacher List membership passes 2800 members!
-Readership passes 3300 members.
-Readership passes 4200!
-A more irregular approach is adopted; emails are not daily now. I pass on sites that catch my attention one to 3 times per month, as I focus on my teaching and personal pastimes.
-The twentieth (20th!) year of The Teacher List begins.
Please feel free to tell others about this invaluable service! All persons interested in education technology are welcome! If you use the information that I provide, I would appreciate a note in your publication or presentation regarding The Teacher List, please.
Some people ask me why I might say, “My pal…” or “My friend…” when writing a post. That’s easy – if we’ve had a drink together, you’re a pal. If we have met but not had a drink together, then you’re a friend!
For more information, please contact me. Welcome to the List!